Wednesday, June 9, 2010

More biking - Less driving

This weekend, I was asked whether I bike more than drive.  My gut response was, "Oh no.  I ride a lot, but I still drive more."  But my wife thought otherwise, and I started thinking about it...

  • I don't commute to work anymore (work at home)
  • I don't drive to the grocery store (bike 90%-95% of the time)
  • I bike for most errands and some business meetings
  • My wife and I have started biking to dinners much more often in Royal Oak because its such an easy ride and we can split a bottle of wine without having to worry about a designated driver*

Hmm, maybe I do bike more than I drive?


I decided I wanted to know, so I took a sample from the last two weeks:
  • Biked 64 miles - lower than typical (due to medical stuff I was off the bike for most of Memorial Day weekend)
  • Drove 289 miles - including two drives to state parks (one of which was to go mountain biking), a 150 mile drive to a friend's birthday party in Tecumseh, and a trip to Ann Arbor

This seems to say that I drive more than I bike.

But wait!
  • During the week, I have a Grand Prix to drive. It has had 234 miles put on it since April 22nd, which averages out to about 33 miles per week (the car has not been so healthy of late, so been leaving it parked - the 289 miles listed above were put on the car that my wife drives to work and is the car we typically use on the weekends).  
  • Checking my bike mileage for that same period, I've done 296 miles on my bike for an average of about 42 miles.

Bottom line:  I think I bike more than I drive during the week, but drive more than I bike on the weekend.

The irony to all this is, my wife and I just bought a new car on Monday because the Grand Prix's transmission crapped out.  So, now I have a fully-functioning car to use during the week again.  I suspect I'll still bike more during the week. (Particularly since my wife takes the new car to work with her!)

*this is NOT an endorsement for drunk biking, which no matter how much fun it might seem to be is dangerous and can be deadly. Always ride with caution. Always wear your helmet.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

This dovetails nicely into an online social media idea I have, for which cities like Royal Oak, Berkley and Ferndale would be ideal pilot communities.

We should schedule a meeting in the next couple weeks to talk. I want to put together a little more conceptualization and then run it by you.